A Guide For What Steps To Take If You Are Injuried At A Friend's Or Family Member's House This Holiday Season

9 November 2016
 Categories: Law, Blog

During the holiday season, getting together with friends and family is quite common. Going to someone's house to enjoy their company doesn't always result in an injury, but when it does, it is important to know what to do. The following guide walks you through the process to follow if you are injured at a friend's or relative's house.

Seek Medical Attention Right Away

If a deck collapses, dog bites you, or any other injury takes place, you need to seek medical attention right away. Take the time to go to a hospital so that you can get the treatment that you need and get documentation to prove what happened.

Have Someone Take Pictures

While you are on your way to the hospital to seek treatment, you want to be sure to have someone take pictures of the deck, the dog, or the area where the incident took place. It is important to be able to prove that the incident took place on the homeowner's property.

Contact an Attorney

Before you contact the homeowner's insurance company, you need to hire an attorney. Discuss with him or her what happened to you and provide him or her with all of the evidence that you have. Ask for their advice and then have them be present when you contact the insurance company. They will be able to guide you through the process to ensure that you do not agree to something that will not benefit you in the long run.

Take the Case to Court

If the insurance company denies your personal injury claim, the case will need to be taken to court. The attorney will be able to fight for you to get the money you need to cover your medical bills, any time that you missed from work, and any long-term damage you may have from the incident. He or she will need every bit of evidence that you have to prove your side of the case in order to fight for everything that they can possibly get for you in court.

Before agreeing to hire the attorney, be sure to understand the payment arrangements. There are some attorneys who do not require you to pay any money before they help you in court. These attorneys take payment out of the settlement that you receive from the insurance company. The percentage should be agreed upon before any contracts are signed. For more information, contact a law firm such as Dunnigan & Messier P.C.